Thursday, September 12, 2013

Cultural Look

We all know the stereotype of the American tourist with shorts, sneakers, and a fanny pack.  Many of us strive to never be caught in any of those items while in Europe (thankfully, I haven't seen a fanny pack for sale since about 1994).  Some of us don't care; some of us flaunt our American-ness.  And that's cool. 

But one thing I've realized as I walk the streets of Brooklyn is that we really look like shlumps.  When did that happen?  Also, is "shlump" a word?

In Paris, nobody wears exercise clothes in public.  Since they don't exercise, they actually don't even own exercise clothes.  One time I wore yoga pants to the park with Max.  I could feel those Parisian eyes on me, thinking, "Americaine...bah."  From then on, I made sure I was properly equipped with ballet flats, scarves, and skinny jeans.  For the playground. 

Now, many people will think to themselves, "But those Parisian women are all so thin. It is easy for them to look elegant and chic as they drink tiny cups of espresso and smoke cigarettes."  And these people would be right.  Others will think, "It doesn't get oppressively and disgustingly hot and humid in Paris.  It is easier to look nice when you aren't sweating through your clothes."  These people are definitely right.

But I wonder if there is also something to the cultural idea that it's important to take time to look nice.  At my son's new preschool, they instruct parents that kids should come in "play clothes."  I don't think this concept exists in France.  Children routinely look like mini-adults - I often said that nine-year-old girls in Parc Monceau were some of the best dressed people around.  Certainly better dressed than me.

I like that Americans are relaxed. I like that we can let our hair down, and we embrace individuality, which can be expressed through what we wear.  In the past weeks, though, I've wondered if we've gone too far.  Body parts are all over the place, even when they're not doing anyone any favors. 

As I write this post, we are experiencing an intense superhero phase in our house. Specifically, Max wants to be Superman EVERY DAY.  We have two Superman shirts, which I pry off his sweaty, dirty body to wash.  Would I be giving in to this phase if we were still in Paris?  Would we even have owned a Superman shirt to begin with?  Isn't there something nice about letting a 2-year-old be Superman for a few days (weeks)?

This isn't a complete condemnation of American style.  It's part of an ongoing conversation I have with myself, in which I often conclude that Americans and Parisians are on opposite sides of many spectrums.  And if I can just find the right balance, then I will be well-dressed and put together while wearing clothes that can be spit up/peed/bled on, and my children will be comfortable and experience the joys of imagination while looking like they could be, you know, French.

No comments:

Post a Comment